Saturday, November 6, 2010

From Purchase to Digestion

A good majority of my job is about changing perspective.

I'd say it is 30% providing nutrition knowledge, 70% changing perspective. Unlike medications and disease processes, everyone "knows" food. People know what tastes good and what doesn't. They've been exposed to food all their life. Most people don't feel like they need an expert to explain to them what are fruits and vegetables. Truth is, most of my clients know which foods they shouldn't be eating and which foods they should. Therefore, I find myself spending most of my counselling session working with them to want the good over the bad.

That is hard when everyone has their own preferences. Healthy eating, however, is a process. It's not just from plate to mouth; rather the process starts from purchase and finishes with complete digestion. The way you buy and choose foods, the way you store foods, the way you prepare foods, and the way you eat all play a role on your nutrition choices.

For the start of the weekend, I was able to do a few things to make healthy eating more appealing to myself. Being a single woman, I often find myself eating my dinner over the sink, and not savoring my food. This takes away from the overall enjoyment in eating. Something as simple as setting the table, lighting candles, and sitting down to eat will allow me to savor my dinners, eat at a slower pace, and help me recognize when I'm really satiated. Also, playing music and dancing in the kitchen while making a nutritous home cooked meal not only works in the movies but also in real life. Try it!

Friday night I joined a group of girlfriends to paint wine glasses, eat, drink, and be merry. Every time I join friends and food is involved, I discover a new recipe that I want to add to my recipe box (Kimmy's sautéed cheesy onion dip was incredible!). Many of us are set in our ways and have trouble changing eating habits because we've grown up with certain foods. Try doing potlucks and get togethers to expose yourself to different dishes.

And look at my painted glasses! I've already setup my dining table with the new wine glasses to truly enjoy my next dinner.
Go Gators!

This morning I stopped by a couple of green markets. The air has finally gotten cool and crisp in South Florida, making it a perfect time to enjoy the outdoors and get some Vitamin D. Green markets are a great place to go food shopping. The fruits and vegetables are often cheaper and fresher than going to a grocery store. The vendors are usually local, so not only do they sell the fruits and vegetables that are in season, but also, there is very little travel time, allowing for foods that are fresher, riper, and more flavorful! Often, the stands are visually more appealing than many grocery stores, making you more likely to pickup those fruits and vegetables.

I created myself a goal for this morning: Only spend $6 and try one new fruit or vegetable. I first stopped at the Oceanside Farmer's Market because it was close to me. It's a fairly small market but you really get a sense of community. Every vendor I walked by said hello and offered me a sample. I was able to try mango sherbet (so good!), guacamole, and a 12-year aged balsamic vinegar with no sugar added. That balsamic vinegar was out of my budget for today, but you can be sure I'm going to return to buy it!


Then I took the ocean road and headed north to downtown West Palm Beach for their GreenMarket. Oh my gosh! I'm making this a weekly trip! 







I'm not fully satisfied with the outcome of my budget but it was my first time. The lady in front of me had a whole bag full of food that she said cost her only $7! Next time I'll be more prepared and take my time to look at the prices and quality of each vendor. That being said, I couldn't help myself when I just grabbed for foods. There were so many choices and I wanted to try cooking new things. I've tried all the foods below but I've never cooked eggplant or a whole portobello mushroom, so I was really excited to take my loot home and try it this week!


So remember, make the process a part of your meals! Change the little things to help change the bigger perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profile? Just select Name/URL under Select profile below and type your name.