Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Iron Chef

Last night I had an incredible dinner with my friend Sam. Check out her blog here.

I can always count on Sam to make delicous meals, and after trying her artichoke lasagna (SO good!), I coerced her into having me over for dinner! Okay, that's not really true. Sam loves to cook and I love to eat, so the solution to that equation was easy.

My conversation with Sam when we decided on dinner went as follows:
Sam: "What are you craving? It can be anything. I enjoy the challenge."
Me: "Hmm... Well, how about BEEF!"

Now, beef is a meat you don't want every day because there are adverse health effects associated with eating red meat daily. That's why when I do get to eat beef, I savor it. Everything in moderation.

Lean beef, though, does have some nutritional benefits if eaten in moderation. Now, I don't know whether it's because my previous job had such a big concerntration on anemia or not, but my favorite thing about beef (besides the taste) is it's a great source of iron. Iron is used in the body to help with many processes of metabolism. One of the ones I like to talk about, is that iron is used in the form of hemoglobin to carry oxygen from the lungs to all the organs of the body via red blood cells. In layman's terms, iron, among other things, helps provide us with oxygen. When we don't eat enough iron, and in turn become iron-deficient, we feel tired and lethargic because our organs don't have enough oxygen.

But wait, I thought you said to minimalize beef intake? No worries! Iron is found in many other foods, including chicken, pork, turkey, fish, shellfish, enriched grains and cereals, and even potatoes with skins. Oh! And add Vitamin C sources, such as fruits and vegetables, to your meals when eating foods with iron to help your body absorb the iron. When I started feeling tired and realized it was a result of low iron, my favorite dish to turn to was chili! It has both the meat and the veggies. Complete delicious package in a little bowl!

So I definitely got a good kick of oxygen last night after Sam's beef meal. Take a look (I need to practice on my food photography)! Decadent as always! Thanks Sam!



Remember, when it comes to beef, savor it but keep it lean and minimal!

2 comments:

No profile? Just select Name/URL under Select profile below and type your name.