Wednesday, December 15, 2010

On the fifth day

Woohoo! I finally finished all of my Christmas shopping. Now time to relax and really enjoy the holidays.

I've been wrapping presents, baking and cooking, and running around all over the place trying to get everything together for Christmas. So, today, I made sure our fifth fruit/vegetable was an easy one. For the fifth day of Fruits and Vegetables, we have broccoli!



I never understood why every cartoon character growing up would say "Broccoli... blech!" I always loved the taste of broccoli. Even more fun, they looked like trees! (My old coworker Mortimer once gave a floret of broccoli as a flower bouquet to our dietitian boss on her birthday!) To me, broccoli taste great by itself, steamed with a little salt, pepper, and garlic. However, I also love it in broccoli cheddar soup, beef and broccoli, and broccoli and cheese. Tonight, though, I wanted to whip up something fast and easy, so I just did my regular steamed broccoli. Sorry guys, no exciting recipe tonight, but in place of it, I made this diorama with my broccoli before cooking it! Who says you can't play with your food?



Those tiny little green trees pack an incredible amount of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, including Vitamin C, folic acid, dietary fiber, potassium, calcium, B vitamins, and Vitamin A. Broccoli has been shown to boost your immune system, prevent cataracts and promote healthy eyes, ease and/or prevent symptoms of the common cold, and strengthen bones. They pack high amounts of antioxidants, specifically, indole-3-carbinol, which has been shown to have an affect on hormone-related cancers, such as breast and prostate, by stopping or slowing the growth of cancer cells. Not to mention they're so easy to fix up! It's like a delicious multivitamin in the shape of a tree. I just have to add colorful sprinkles on them and make a "lighted Christmas tree/broccoli"!

Well, I guess I'll leave you with my favorite Christmas song of all time. I remember my cousin almost killed me when I played it over and over again during our drive from Florida all the way up to New York when we were little. I don't think I could listen to this for 20 hours anymore.



1 comment:

  1. Cute pics and videos! Would've liked to have seen Bernice's reaction to the brocolli bouquet, lol!

    ReplyDelete

No profile? Just select Name/URL under Select profile below and type your name.