Tuesday, December 21, 2010

On the ninth day

Growing up, I knew my mom's favorite cartoon was Popeye the Sailor Man.




I think you all know where I'm going with this: "I'm strong to the finish, 'cause I eat my spinach"!

What was it about spinach that gave Popeye that boost of strength? Well, spinach is an incredible superfood whose benefits list includes:
  • It is a calcium source. As we learned before, calcium helps strengthen our bones and teeth. Calcium also helps in the protection of our heart and even against colon cancer.
  • Spinach is high in protein, which is the building material for muscle.
  • Spinach contains a high level of Vitamin A, which has been shown to prevent viral and respiratory infections.
  • Spinach is also a great source of folate, Vitamin K, magnesium, iron, potassium, Vitamin C and manganese
  • It's been shown to protect against heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and cholesterol buildup. It's also related to improving eye and skin health.
... And the list goes on and on! Spinach is definitely a vegetable we'll have to revisit when it's not such a crazy season. Just this short list proves why Popeye was ahead of his game when eating spinach for that added boost.

I use spinach in a lot of recipes and meals. Today, however, I'm just going to cover a very easy recipe my mom had me make for Thanksgiving. I made it again for our work's Holiday party and I'm sure it'll make a repeat appearance for Christmas dinner:


Spinach-Onion Bread Dip
  • 1 enevelope of dried onion soup mix
  • 16 oz of Sour Cream
  • 1 package (16 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 4oz can chopped water chestnuts
  • 1 Pumpernickel bread bowl
1. Mix all the ingredients together, except the bread bowl, and chill.
2. Cut a hole through the bread to make a bowl to place the dip.
3. Put dip in bowl and serve.

Voila! Easy and delicious! Obviously, there are other ways to eat spinach and I promise we'll see spinach again on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profile? Just select Name/URL under Select profile below and type your name.