Tuesday, December 7, 2010

On the second day

Ooo! It is chilly in South Florida! For those of you who don't live in Florida, I know I can't complain, but a cold front has come in and it's starting to feel like winter (granted, "winter" is relative). I managed to get coaxed into surfing yesterday in the 50 degree weather. Brrrr. After only an hour, I couldn't feel my face!



The cold weather though is completing the feel of the season. My home smells like douglas fir, ribbons and lights are strung in every store, Christmas music is playing on the radio, and I enjoyed a Peppermint White Chocolate soy latte with my friend Gretchen this weekend. I hope you all are feeling the holiday spirit as well!

Today, I opted out of another cold surf session and decided to celebrate our second day of fruits and vegetables. Although, I cheated today and chose a fungus often considered a vegetable: mushrooms! Mushrooms are available all season because they don't depend on the sun for growth, but they're at their peak during fall and winter.

A cup of portobello mushrooms contain only around 40 calories, 6g of carbohydrates, and 5g of protein. They are a great source of potassium, with a portobello containing more potassium than orange juice! Mushrooms also contain niacin and riboflavin, B vitamins not found in many vegetables. Everyone who knows me well, knows I love B vitamins! B vitamins have a huge effect on mood because they support the nervous system, as well as many other metabolic processes of the body. Niacin (B3) may slow the development of atherosclerosis (fatty material, such as cholesterol, build-up in your arteries) and increase you HDL (good cholesterol)! Studies have shown Riboflavin (B2) may prevent the incidence of age-related cataracts. Both are antioxidants, preventing free-radicals from damaging our cells. Mushrooms also contain a powerful antioxidant called L-ergothioneine, currently only known to be found in fungi!


Stuffed Mushrooms!

Tonight, I made a recipe my friend forwarded to me after I tried her version: Giada's Stuffed Mushrooms. I did use portobello mushrooms instead of white mushrooms in my recipe. I pretty much ate that for my whole dinner; they're so good!

Then, I finished the night off curling up on the couch in my snuggie, put on  the very Christmas-themed movie Love, Actually (my favorite story is Jamie and Aurelia), and stirred up my favorite hot chocolate: Ghirardelli's peppermint hot chocolate. I used the mix because there's no store near me, but if ever you get the chance, try the real deal. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!





From "chilly" South Florida, stay warm everyone!

__________________________________

I just noticed the FeedBlitz mail subscription is being sent to the spam box, so make sure to add the email address into your contacts to have it go directly into your inbox!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh! Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! It's like you read my mind. I love mushrooms, but I feel like they don't get enough credit because they're not green. Thanks for giving them the spotlight :)

    ReplyDelete

No profile? Just select Name/URL under Select profile below and type your name.