Saturday, December 25, 2010

On the twelfth day - Merry Christmas!

We finally made it! Twelve delicious days of fruits and vegetables!

Yes, this year I am going to be that guy (or, well, girl). You know, the one that brings the healthy stuff to the party? Tonight among all the honey baked ham, turkey, cookies, chocolate, cakes, and comfort food, I'm bringing the vegetables. I told my cousins I'd be bringing the vegetables and the reply I got was "It better be deep fried or coated in cheese"! Hee hee, I love my family.

So tonight, I'm going to make easy broccoli and easy asparagus. I love asparagus. It's another vegetable I feel can stand on its own without too much added flavoring. Lucky for me, my best friend Heather gave me an easy recipe so that I could have asparagus anytime!





Asparagus, a member of the lily family, contains vitamin C and A, folate, tryptohphan, thiamin, riboflavin, manganese, pyridoxine, copper, niacin, phosphorus, protein, potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium selenium and calcium. Wow! That's a lot of nutrients. Asparagus is an excellent source of Vitamin K, with one serving containing almost 115% of your daily value.

Vitamin K plays a part in bone formation and repair, as well as serves in converting glucose to glycogen. Vitamin K's most vital role, however, is synthesizing a protein in the liver known as prothrombin. Prothrombin is needed for blood clotting. Without Vitamin K or prothrombin, a deficiency can cause nose bleeding or internal hemorrhaging. However, if you are taking a blood thinner, such as Coumadin or Warfarin, you want to discuss with your doctor or dietitian Vitamin K's effects on the medication and your health.

Asparagus is also a natural diuretic. The alkalinity of the vegetable may help prevent or dissolve kidney stones. The diuretic effect may also relieve premenstrual swelling and bloating.

By the end of Christmas eve dinner, all my asparagus was consumed! No frying or cheese needed!


From my heart to all of yours, have a very joyful and merry, merry Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment

No profile? Just select Name/URL under Select profile below and type your name.