Friday, December 17, 2010

On the sixth day

So, as I was walking the grocery store, trying to get ingredients together for more holiday treats, I came upon a fruit I heard about at some point. Can't remember when. Since they were fairly cheap, I decided to bag them and see what they were about.

Today, our sixth day of fruits and vegetables, I'm going to try myself a Persimmon! I didn't want to get too complicated with them for two reasons. 1) This is my first time trying them, and 2) I'm on a time crunch with Christmas fast approaching.



Before, I bit into it, I made sure to google "How to eat a Persimmon". I picked up the Hachiya variety, which is supposedly tart until it is VERY ripe and soft. I also found a quote that said persimmons taste similar to mangoes. If you know me, you know my favorite fruit is a mango! So I was excited to have a go at the persimmons!

I guess you can never really replace a favorite. For me, the mango still wins. Persimmons do have a very similar texture to mangoes, although they're a lot less flavorful (and less messy). Maybe next time I'll try the fuyu persimmon which is said to be sweeter. Also, I'll try the idea of making a sherbet out of it by freezing it and scooping the meat out. Sounds delish!



Persimmons originated from China and were brought to Japan. Apparently the Japanese loved persimmons so much that its highly regarded as their national fruit. I bet persimmons taste incredible over there. Persimmons are a good source of fiber, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A. One of the first trainings I had as a new dietitian by my old boss was "Vitamin A. It's good for the eyes." And it is! Persimmons also contain anti-cancer compounds known as shibuol and betulinic acid.

Have you guys ever just picked up a fruit or vegetable you've never tried just to taste it? How did it go? Can you recommend any uncommon fruits and vegetables? I'm always looking to try new things!

Finally, check out this really great website I tripped upon: best fruit now. It recommends fruits that are in season, as well as tells you which fruits to avoid that are out of season and costly! So neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profile? Just select Name/URL under Select profile below and type your name.