Monday, December 13, 2010

On the third day

'Tis the Season!




The hustle and bustle is in full swing now that we're down to less than 2 weeks before Christmas. Christmas parties abound. The malls are full of last minute shoppers. I even got to go on a movie date under the moonlight to see Elf! Oh! And on Sunday I saw Santa on a motorcycle leading a motorcade; then I saw him today at work, hopping into a full elevator! He's everywhere! I need to make sure I catch him so I can give him my Christmas wish list.

Christmas Cookie Party!

Elves at the mall

Even the flowers are getting into the Spirit!

Tonight though, another cold front is moving through, so no movies under the moonlight for me! Instead, I'm warming up to our Third day of Fruit and Veggie treat: sauteed bok choy! There's this delicious sushi restaurant very close to my place that makes a mean bok choy. The winds are wailing right outside my windows, so there's no way I'm stepping foot outside. Rather, I just followed this easy video from Food Network to whip up my own helping of the Chinese cabbage! So easy!


There's a lot of things bok choy contains. It's a good source of Vitamin A, C, and K, as well as potassium. What I really like about bok choy, is that it's a good source of BOTH calcium and Vitamin D.



We all know that calcium helps the body grow strong teeth and bones, as well as slow bone loss as we grow older. Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium, which is why many milk products are enriched with Vitamin D. However, what many of us don't know is that there are many other sources of calcium besides milk products, including bok choy! Many green leafy vegetables, such as collards, spinach, and even bok choy are a good source of calcium, without the high amounts of saturated fats. To go beyond what the vegetables don't have, take a look at what they do have! Not only will you get your calcium, but you'll get Vitamin D (naturally) and a whole host of other vitamins and minerals. Compared to a glass of milk, calcium vegetable sources not only carry a lot more in terms of nutrients, but they're also low-fat, low-calorie, and low-carbohydrate.

So, look outside of what you know in terms of foods an nutrients. There's so many delicious fruits and vegetables waiting to be discovered!

Oooh, after tonight, I'm adding the following to my grown-up Christmas list: wok!

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profile? Just select Name/URL under Select profile below and type your name.